[j-nsp] QoS when there is no congestion

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Nov 15 05:44:29 EST 2016

> Of Andrey Khomyakov
> Sent: Monday, November 14, 2016 4:56 PM
>
> OP explicitly stated that there is not congestion. I think we can all agree that
> QoS only works if there is congestion on the egress line. In cases where
> egress rate is lower than line rate, QoS will simply hurt more than help since
> you'll be potentially limiting any given class with police or shape (I know this is
> juniper list, but I don't know junos equivalents) statements to below the line
> rate.

Hey buddy,
First of all I suggest you get some reading on QOS to get the basics right, how on earth can proper use of policing and shaping hurt?

My experience is that OP is probably unaware of all the congestion points (including congestion points within devices themselves) because 99% of folks I talk to are not, unfortunately.
No, I don't agree that QOS works only if there is congestion on an egress line, see above.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::