[j-nsp] Debug ip packet equivalent for directed at RE traffic

Alex K. nsp.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 13:43:02 EST 2016

Hello everyone,

By any chance - is there an equivalent for Ciscos' "debug ip packet"
command in Juniper?

I'm fully aware that there is a complete distinction between forwarding
layer and control layer, in those devices - But,  I'm taking specifically
about traffic TARGETING the box itself.

I'm troubleshooting a strange behavior by Juniper EX line. It's a compex
topology but the issue is very simple: under certain circumstances, an EX
stop responding even to pings to its own addresses, even from directly
connected interfaces.

I'm fully aware that I can mirror a port on those machines (and such), but
mirroring alone, will not answer the million dollar question - why?

Since there is no doubt that packets are reaching the box (packets don't
leak from a directly connected cable, with PC on its other end) - I was
hoping, Juniper might have provided us with a trace option, for following
the packet inside the box?

Anyone know such trace option?

Any suggestions will be welcomed.