[j-nsp] R: Etherchannel Cisco - Juniper and firewall filter

Valentini, Lucio Lucio.Valentini at siag.it
Mon Sep 12 08:27:54 EDT 2016

Hi folks,

it looks like the "[KB14893] Cisco EIGRP protocol and EX Switch configuration compatibility" is wrong.

Here they say:

If the VLAN on the EX Switch is configured for IGMP-snooping protocol, flooding of multicast hello packets will not happen. The EX Switch with IGMP-snoooping enabled will drop EIGRP hello packets and routers connected at interfaces will not be able to form adjacency.

NOTE: IGMP-snooping is enabled by default in JUNOS 9.3 software and later releases

[Cisco A] ---------- Port 1 (VLAN A)-- [EX switch]--(VLAN A) Port 2 ------------ [Cisco B]

For Cisco's EIGRP protocol to work using the EX Switch in above topology (transit mode) IGMP-Snooping protocol has to be disabled on the EX Switch

To disable IGMP-Snooping protocol on the EX switch use following command:

juniper at ex# set protocol igmp-snooping vlan <name of the vlan> disable

juniper at ex# commit

Now, I have version 12.3R8.7 on my EX4200 and the default command

set protocol igmp-snooping vlan all

and yet EIGRP traffic is flowing and with that, even data traffic. Therefore applying the filter was a costly mistake. I may even lose my job because of that: now, who´s to blame?

Thanks

Regards

Lucio