[j-nsp] debug messages - kernel: rt->rt_proto and fpc0 Next-hop resolution requests throttled

John Kristoff jtk at depaul.edu
Wed Sep 14 15:58:12 EDT 2016

Hello friends,

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but I'm not a cat so here goes.

Evaluating some debug logs on an EX-9208 I've seen two flavors of log
messages that I'd be interested in learning more about.  One set looks
like the following:

  /kernel: rt->rt_proto ipv4 plen 32
  /kernel: rt->rt_proto vpls plen 80
  /kernel: rt->rt_proto ipv6 plen 128

The other like this:

  fpc0 Next-hop resolution requests from interface 498 throttled

From the text I think I have an idea what they sort of information they
are conveying, but I'd like to hear definitively a bit more.  Under
what conditions and for what reason they are being generated?  Yes,
these are from enabling debug message, which generally you wouldn't do,
but would otherwise ignore these if you saw them.  I opened a low
priority case and apparently not much is documented about them and I
didn't want to push the JTAC to expend a lot of effort on this.  Hoping
someone here might have this obscure knowledge.

John