[j-nsp] Commit script portability between ELS and non-ELS platforms

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Tue Sep 13 17:51:09 EDT 2016

On Wed, 8 Jun 2016, Phil Mayers wrote:

> On 07/06/16 21:51, Rob Foehl wrote:
>>  Does anyone have any clever methods for probing Enhanced Layer 2
>>  Software support from a commit script on QFX/EX in order to generate
>>  changes appropriate to the platform?  Specifically looking for something
>>  beyond checking hardware and version numbers, or for pieces of config
>>  hierarchy that might not be present on any given box either way.
>
> <rpc>
>     <get-ethernet-switching-table-information>
>             <summary/>
>
> ...returns substantially different XML b/w ELS and non-ELS IIRC.

Thanks, Phil.  Just realizing I'd never followed up on this...

That RPC does return completely different XML, and was easy enough to
wedge into a commit script to detect ELS vs. non-ELS, but we hit a snag
with VCs in that the backup RE fails to execute the RPC and thus blows up
during a commit sync.  This should still work fine over netconf for
off-box differentiation, of course.

We wound up falling back to platform detection, with explicit pattern
matching for the models we've tested the script on.  There's a small
benefit there, in that the script will refuse to run on a new box where
nobody's tested it before, but that's still a maintenance trade-off.

-Rob