[j-nsp] Juniper MX Flow Sampling

Daniel Stephens ds-lists at ndnx.net
Tue Sep 20 11:39:27 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Looking for some assistance with flow sampling on an MX960. I have an MX960 with multiple DPCE-R-4XGE and an MS-DPC card installed and running JunOS 13.3R6.5. I am looking for a means of sampling layer 2 traffic on the device and not just routed traffic.

I have an upstream which is delivering multiple VLANs over a single 10G interface, and only one of these VLANs directly terminates on this MX960 device, while the others use bridge domains to be trunked to other devices where they terminate. I need to sample the aggregate traffic at the port level of all VLANs associated with the circuit, and not just the one which terminates on this device itself.

The documentation seems to indicate that sampling can only be performed using a filter in family inet, which I cannot do with vlan-bridge encapsulation. Can anyone confirm if this is in fact the case, or if there is a way to sample layer 2 traffic on the platform?

Thank you,
Daniel