[j-nsp] Juniper MX Flow Sampling

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Tue Sep 20 19:38:18 EDT 2016

Hi Daniel,

We are running MPC3/4E and MS-MPC, Junos 14.1R5.5 production and 15.1F6.9 in our lab, where we sample inet, inet6 and mpls with
Netflow  v9.
Unfortunately I don't believe what you seek to do is possible, but I cannot conclusively confirm.
I can point you to documentation which refers only to families inet, inet6 and mpls for sampling.

# Junos 15.1F6.9
@mx1.cbg.uk.re0# set forwarding-options sampling family ?
Possible completions:
> inet                 Sample IPv4 packets
> inet6                Sample IPv6 packets
> mpls                 Sample mpls packets

@mx1.cbg.uk.re0# set firewall family bridge filter foo term bar then ?
<sample not listed>

# Interestingly VPLS sampling is possible since Junos 13.2, but I'm not sure of the full limitations, but fundamentally it appears
possible only for IPFIX.
@mx1.cbg.uk.re0 # set firewall family vpls filter foo term bar then sample ?
Possible completions:
  <[Enter]>            Execute this command

Must you sample for analysis, or simply gather traffic volume statistics per-VLAN and on aggregate?
If the latter, SNMP is your best bet.

Kind regards,
Niall