[j-nsp] PTP design

james list jameslist72 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:01:14 EDT 2016

Hi experts!

More than a vendor related question I’m wondering to discuss or get hints
regarding the upcoming mifid2 new PTP request (max divergence from UTC of 1
microsecond) implementation that will be requested since Jan 2018.

I’d like to setup in my DC two fully redundant PTP source, for this reason
I’m planning to use two different antennas, coax and supplier, but here the
first doubts:

-          What is best design to provide redundancy ?

-          Do I have to use multicast or unicast (like NTP) ?

-          Is there any scalability issue ?

-          If I use multicast, which are the multicast group used by the
PTP vendors ? Is there any ietf assigned group ?

-          Do I have to dedicate a single dedicated vlan where the server
has to connect to get the multicast packets ?

I’ve many doubts and maybe we can share some commons ideas if anybody else
is going to setup the service…

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Regards

James