[j-nsp] Match multiple bgp communities in a policy with AND condition

Job Snijders job at instituut.net
Fri Apr 7 04:47:45 EDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 07, 2017 at 11:38:20AM +0300, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On 6 April 2017 at 19:17, Michael Still <stillwaxin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > FYI I made a Juniper SE submit an ER to implement this kind of
> > functionality (plus some more community stuff). What I asked for
> > related to this case was to be able to add this `logical-operation
> > or|and|xor|not` to the end of a policy match community statement. I'll
> > see if I can find the ER info if you'd like to pressure Juniper to do
> > this as well. Currently I'm not sure its even been accepted to
> > development queue.
>
> Why do vendors insist on trying to solve complex cases in their own
> policy. Why not just give us ability to run lua, mruby, python or
> something, pass us prefix object, and us do arbitrarily complex stuff
> to it.
> policy-statements/route-maps are fine for simple stuff, but create
> unnecessarily difficult to maintain configs for complex cases.
>
> Please start adding this to RFPs, I know I'm not alone here.

Yes, I concur. Embedding a real language like lua, with common
interfaces, is the only way to implement a future proof routing policy
language construct.

Perhaps we need to focus some energy on one of the open source BGP
implementations, to create a reference implemenation of this concept,
and show how its done.

Kind regards,

Job