[j-nsp] EX3200/4200 ipv6 match conditions in family ethernet-switching

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Apr 10 07:51:48 EDT 2017

On 10/04/17 02:10, Jason Healy wrote:
> I've been burned plenty of times by the (lack of) IPv6 feature
> parity, so I'm hoping the list's collective wisdom can save me from a
> lot of extra testing and phone calls with JTAC...
>
> TL;DR: are ANY layer 3 match conditions supported for IPv6 in family
> ethernet-switching on the EX3200/4200?  The documentation says no,
> but the config says yes (at least for certain special cases).

I can't speak to the 3200, but I do know the EX3300 definitely does
*not* support v6 matches in family ethernet-switching. We went through a
long discussion about this with Juniper and eventually it was confirmed
this was a forwarding hardware limitation by both JTAC and our account team.

We stopped buying them as a result (fortunately we had only bought a
few). Since the 3200s are older than 3300s, I'd guess the answer is no.

My memory is hazy, but I think we saw the CLI accept but ignore partial
v6 config, same as you are seeing, so I'd guess CLI bug on that score.

FWIW the EX4300 does not have this problem. Haven't tested the EX3400
yet but I'm hoping they've got parity there, too...

I agree the Juniper docs are confusing on this topic (and many others
sadly...). I cannot decide if this is just poor writing or a deliberate
attempt to disguise the lack of feature parity by being as confusing as
possible... Part of the discussion we had with Juniper on the topic was
confirming exactly which interpretation of the docs you reference was
correct, and the answer was "the one without IPv6 support" :o(

Cheers,
Phil