[j-nsp] bgp peer flapping

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Wed Apr 26 12:48:01 EDT 2017

> james list
> Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 4:55 PM
>
> Dear all
> I’ve a question: is it correct from your point of view that if I change the BGP
> group name on my MX the BGP peer inside the group goes to flap ?

Very hard for me to comment without being sarcastic.
It's just another great example of BGP/RPD implementation quality on Junos!!!
But may a recommend a Cisco box as a replacement for your MX, since BGP on any Cisco OS train automatically places peers into update groups based on similarities in their egress policies no flapping it's all automatic and you wouldn’t even notice (this functionality called "BGP Dynamic Update Peer-Groups" has been there since ever).

In Junos instead, you'll get peer reset every time you perform a change that will put the peer under a different update group id, convenient isn’t it?

Vote with your valet.

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::