[j-nsp] IRB with VRRP configuration issue

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Thu Dec 7 16:56:49 EST 2017

Howdy,

I’ve got an odd issue with an IRB / VRRP configuration that’s driving me a bit crazy.  The physical Ethernet interface is up, but the interface does not show up as part of the “show bridge domain” and the IRB interface shows "Flags: Hardware-Down” which is why I’m guessing the VRRP is also down.

Everything I’ve googled up says “fix the physical interface problem,” but as I pointed out earlier, they are up (devices see each other’s LLDP).  Similar configs are working, so I suspect I’m overlooking something, but sure can’t see it.

    xe-2/1/0 {
        vlan-tagging;
        unit 0 {
            family bridge {
                interface-mode trunk;
                vlan-id-list [ 30 ];
            }
        }
    }

routing-instances {
   our-networks {
        bridge-domains {
            vlan30 {
                domain-type bridge;
                vlan-id 30;
                routing-interface irb.30;
            }

    irb {
        unit 30 {
            family inet {
                address 10.1.1.2/29 {
                    vrrp-group 30 {
                        virtual-address 10.1.1.1;
                        priority 100;
                        fast-interval 200;
                        preempt;
                        accept-data;
                    }
                }
            }
        }

show interfaces xe-2/1/0
Physical interface: xe-2/1/0, Enabled, Physical link is Up

show interfaces irb.30
  Logical interface irb.30 (Index 359) (SNMP ifIndex 699)
    Flags: Hardware-Down Up SNMP-Traps 0x4000 Encapsulation: ENET2
    Bandwidth: 1000mbps
    Routing Instance: our-networks Bridging Domain: vlan30+30
    Input packets : 0
    Output packets: 0
    Protocol inet, MTU: 1514
      Flags: Sendbcast-pkt-to-re
      Addresses, Flags: Dest-route-down Is-Preferred Is-Primary
        Destination: 10.1.1.0/29, Local: 10.1.1.2, Broadcast: 10.1.1.7
    Protocol multiservice, MTU: 1514

Cluebats gratefully accepted.

—Chris