[j-nsp] What is your experience with the EX2200

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Dec 9 15:10:42 EST 2017

Hey Christian,

It's not just your two cents when you state anyone recommending them
do not know what they are talking about.

Your information is highly anecdotal, we can take any company, any
product and we can find consumers who are extremely satisfied and
consumers who believe it's the worst option on the market. Often times
these consumers extrapolate too far, in both directions.

Higher quality of data would measure PR count of EX2200 to EX2300 in
same period of life cycle. Why I personally would not invest on
EX2200, unless I can find really cheap gray ones, is simply because
this whole Marvell => Broadcom operation is rather large undertaking
and affects almost whole EX platform. Marvell is decidedly dead
platform in JNPR, and my concern, as customer, would be that my vendor
has decreased incentive to fix issues I have, because they can get
better ROI of engineering hours spent on Broadcom platforms.

I fully believe that you have major issues on the platform, but how
widely your experience translates to other networks is not obvious. I
also fully believe EX2200 is more mature platform. It is trade-off you
must do after your lab the solutions, if you can get the latest
generation hardware working, of course you should invest on it, for
the longer amortisation times. If you cannot get it working, and no
other vendor is available, then buying dying platform can be
justified.
For what it is worth, I have no problems on EX2300 in simple L2 switch
scenario. I do not doubt that there are features and feature
combinations which are fragile.

On 9 December 2017 at 21:29, Christian Scholz <chs at ip4.de> wrote:
> I would only buy the EX2300 if somebody points a Gun in my Face - seriously!
> Anyone recommending a Device that purely relies on 15.1 Software does not
> even closely know what he is talking about...
>
> The 2300 is a Joke so far - We have 7 PR's open and weekly Core-Dumps...
> Stick with the EX2200 since the EX2200 is not EOL and the EX2300 is unusable
> until a fine Release (17.3 onwards) is available, fixing all the critical
> things.
> 15.1 is the new Windows Vista - unstable, unreliable and just a big joke -
> never ever ever ever use a 15.X in Production until you want to watch the
> World burn...
>
> Just my 2 cents...

  ++ytti