[j-nsp] Comparison strangeness with annotations

Per Westerlund p1 at westerlund.se
Sat Jul 1 09:35:31 EDT 2017

Hi all!

Normally, when comparing current and previous configurations on
Junos-boxes, I assume I get the same results when running in operational
mode as when running in configuration mode. I didn't even think there
could be a difference.

The other day, when we were having some problems with SPACE and
annotations, I suddenly noticed that there is a difference. When there
is a difference in an annotation, it is shown while running in
configuration mode, but not when compared form operational mode. See
this example from my lab:

perw at srx4# show | compare rollback 1
[edit routing-options static]
+    /* Test of annotate 1 */
      route 192.168.52.0/24 { ... }

[edit]
perw at srx4# quit
Exiting configuration mode

perw at srx4> show system rollback compare 1 0
[edit routing-options static]
      route 192.168.52.0/24 { ... }

When comparing from operational mode, what you get is: "There is a
difference, but we will not show what it is".

Has this difference in behaviour always been there? Bug or feature?

/Per