[j-nsp] cheapest juniper router capable of lsys

Chris Burton chris.burton at speakeasy.net
Wed Jun 28 01:40:11 EDT 2017

I can't speak to Vmware (workstation or vSphere) or Virtualbox, but with
a few of the vMX licenses and a cheap server off of eBay running Ubuntu
14.04 or 16.04 and KVM you can run several instances of vMX on a single
machine.   On a dual Xeon E5-2670 equipped  with 128GB of memory I am
able to boot and run a total of 7 vMX instances and build a rather
massive working topologies. Based on the available memory left and CPU
cycles left I could probably boot several additional instances, but
because of the aforementioned CPU usage of the data-plane (even with
lite-mode enabled) I start running into cooling issues on the CPU (temps
creep into the critical range).

That being said, unless you want to test items that do not work in
logical systems (for instances EVPN) you can happily run a single
instance of vMX using multiple logical systems (I have tested up to 12,
but I think you can go to 15 logical-systems, possibly more), using
either lt- interfaces or can modify the configuration and run a lot more
of the built-in interfaces, depending upon version you can get up to 96
interfaces, though I have only successfully booted up with 48 interfaces
(things start getting dicey passed 48 interfaces, and it can take 10-15m
to boot the entire system assuming it does not crash, both control and
data plane).

Also, if you use KVM and linux bridge you can bypass the issues with the
bridges not forwarding LLDP and LACP traffic, but you have to willing to
dive into modifying certain parts of the virtual bridge network drivers
and compile your own custom kernel, as by standards bridges are not
supposed to forward the traffic related to LCAP and LLDP.  I have also
heard that this can be bypassed by using Open vSwitch, but I have not
tested that.  The only items I have not yet been able to get working are
related to Ethernet OAM, but so far everything else I have tested has
worked either directly or with some modification.

Cheers,

-C