[j-nsp] small service provider j router

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Mar 9 03:29:38 EST 2017

On 7/Mar/17 15:17, Mike Azevedo wrote:

> Juniper mx104 will do 3 upstreams, mpls, full routes, netflow, stateless
> firewall filters at a good price.  There is a 40g and 80g bundle.  The 80
> is ultimately cheaper than the 40 + upgrade.
>
> Tier 2/3 ISPs are fine with this box.  Just add agg switch if you need more
> ports.

In the past 12 months, we've bought a handful of MX104's for small
PoP's. While these boxes have lots of life re: forwarding performance,
the RE lets them down severely. So much so that we are swapping some of
them out with the MX480 (need more ports, but really, want to get rid of
that horrible RE).

We just put down a few more PoP's in some new countries in the past 6
months with the MX104, but only because those orders were placed before
Christmas. Going forward, small PoP's will be going with a different box
(MX480 or ASR1000). The MX104 is evil, and I'm really not loving Juniper
for putting out a product that they don't want to enhance, given its
modularity. They might as well have used a fixed-configuration RE and be
done with it.

I know there is a new box meant to be replacing the MX80 and MX104 (and
probably why the MX104 is the prodigal son right now), but I'm not sure
how well I'll support it given Juniper's bad behaviour already.

Mark.