[j-nsp] Set system no-ping-time-stamp

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Mar 11 07:14:47 EST 2017

On 10 March 2017 at 17:56, Phil Shafer <phil at juniper.net> wrote:

Hey,

> set system no-ping-time-stamp
> sysctl: net.inet.ip.ip_ts (JUNOS specific, I think)
> meaning: do not add timestamps to ip packets (not ping specific)
>
> Despite the names, the last two are _not_ ping/icmp related, but
> just turn off ip options processing for these two options.  The
> brevity of the names makes me fairly sure they are JUNOS additions.

I guess who ever wrote CLI, didn't know what it does, as CLI
definitely implies it's ICMP timestamp:

  no-ping-time-stamp   Do not insert time stamp in ping replies

I just tried, and even disabling it, ICMP timestamps work just fine,
so as you explained, nothing to do with ICMP timestamp. I actually
quite like ICMP timestamp, it's only way to get unidirectional
latencies from non-cooperating hosts. Unfortunately 1ms precision is
often too coarse and many people either don't maintain their clocks or
filter timestamp requests.

--
  ++ytti