[j-nsp] LDP VPLS - Multi-homing

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 9 08:39:22 EDT 2017

On 9 October 2017 at 12:49, Aaron Gould <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:
> Ah.  I think I might be on to something.  I see that when I do a BGP VPLS
> (fec 128, rfc 4761) style config, then I do NOT see the pw's active between
> the non-designated-forwarding multi-homed pe's...  and, this seems to be
> automatic. (no mhoming config needed in my lab)  It seems in that link there
> is some typos with explaining BGP VPLS and LDP VPLS.  Seems that it explains
> on BGP Signals PW's under the section of the document pertaining to LDP
> VPLS, so it confuses the reader.  It seems that someone should correct that
> document.

I tried reading through the links and it wasn't making sense to me,
now that you say that, it does make more sense. At first I thought you
were confusing LDP signalled VPLS with BGP signalled VPLS but yeah I
see now that the Juniper documentation is in fact incorrect :)

I was trying to work out the mechanism for signalling the
non-designated-forwarding PE-CE link to go operationally "down" (I'm
used to VPLS on Cisco kit). This isn’t in RFC4761 so is this a Juniper
custom extension?

Cheers,
James.