[j-nsp] LDP VPLS - Multi-homing

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Mon Oct 9 07:49:59 EDT 2017

Ah.  I think I might be on to something.  I see that when I do a BGP VPLS
(fec 128, rfc 4761) style config, then I do NOT see the pw's active between
the non-designated-forwarding multi-homed pe's...  and, this seems to be
automatic. (no mhoming config needed in my lab)  It seems in that link there
is some typos with explaining BGP VPLS and LDP VPLS.  Seems that it explains
on BGP Signals PW's under the section of the document pertaining to LDP
VPLS, so it confuses the reader.  It seems that someone should correct that
document.

I did not have to configure any multihoming commands in order to cause this
to occur.  In the link it mentions that there are some multi-homing commands
for fec 128 bgp vpls... but I didn't use that command and I still get loop
prevention behavior.  ( I see pw's not up and also, the non-df pe-ce link is
brought down) ...with that in mind, any idea why would I need that command
for fec 128 bgp vpls ?

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/topic-map/vpls-bgp-
multihoming.html
"For FEC 128-routing-instances instance-name protocols vpls site site-name
multi-homing"

[edit]
r2 at lab-mx104:r2# run show vpls connections instance vpls-4761 brief | find
Instance:

Instance: vpls-4761
Edge protection: Not-Primary
  Local site: site10 (10)
    connection-site           Type  St     Time last up          # Up trans
    10                        rmt   RN
    11                        rmt   Up     Oct  9 11:12:41 2017           1

[edit]
r2 at lab-mx104:r2# show routing-instances vpls-4761 | display set
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 instance-type vpls
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 interface lt-0/1/0.1052
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 route-distinguisher
1.1.255.2:1001
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 vrf-target
target:64512:1001
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 protocols vpls site-range
100
set logical-systems r2 routing-instances vpls-4761 protocols vpls site
site10 site-identifier 10

[edit]
r2 at lab-mx104:r2# run show interfaces terse lt-0/1/0.1052
Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote
lt-0/1/0.1052           up    up   vpls

[edit]
r3 at lab-mx104:r3# run show interfaces terse lt-0/1/0.1054
Interface               Admin Link Proto    Local                 Remote
lt-0/1/0.1054           up    down vpls

[edit]
r3 at lab-mx104:r3# show routing-instances vpls-4761 | display set
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 instance-type vpls
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 interface lt-0/1/0.1054
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 route-distinguisher
1.1.255.3:1001
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 vrf-target
target:64512:1001
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 protocols vpls site-range
100
set logical-systems r3 routing-instances vpls-4761 protocols vpls site
site10 site-identifier 10

[edit]
r3 at lab-mx104:r3# run show vpls connections instance vpls-4761 brief | find
Instance:

Instance: vpls-4761
Edge protection: Not-Primary
  Local site: site10 (10)
    connection-site           Type  St     Time last up          # Up trans
    10                        rmt   LN
    11                        rmt   LN

- Aaron