[j-nsp] LDP VPLS - Multi-homing

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 03:19:39 EDT 2017

On 10 October 2017 at 01:45, Aaron Gould <aaron1 at gvtc.com> wrote:
> Ah, I see what you are asking.  I don't know, perhaps someone on list knows
> the particulars.
>
> About the multiple active fwd'ing paths for mhome'd pe-ce... I think someone
> told me that is a benefit that evpn brings to the table... but I heard it
> has something to do with per-vlan load sharing across those active/active
> mhomed sites.
>
> Don't know yet, since I'm just diving into evpn, and am already discouraged
> that I read that evpn isn't supported in lsys, ... lsys is the basis for all
> my lab testing.  Oh well, perhaps I'll pull a another acx5048 from the
> warehouse and give it a whirl

If you want to practice with EVPN in a non-Juniper environment I think
it works on the Cumulus Linux free/demo VM and probably some others
like Cisco xrv9k I believe, maybe the latest vMX supports it too?

Yeah EVPN has control-plane level MAC learning; from a high level
imagine it like a typical layer 3 VPN with IP prefixes being sent in
BGP UPDATES just that MACs are sent instead.

Cheers,
James.