[j-nsp] Standard practice for customer eBGP peering traffic engineer

Mark Tees marktees at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 23:16:42 EDT 2017

Hi Craig,

They are probably referring to prepending the provider AS to certain
other eBGP neighbours not within the AS.

EG: Customer sends prefix X with community Y. Where provider chooses
to advertise prefix X to other eBGP neighbours if they match community
Y then prepend own AS.

https://us.ntt.net/support/policy/routing.cfm
http://tools.vocus.com.au/additionals/communities.htm
https://onestep.net/communities/as3356/

These are convenience methods to assist IP transit customers on
guiding traffic towards their prefixes.

--Mark

On 26 October 2017 at 10:07, craig washington
<craigwashington01 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> wondering best practice for customer eBGP traffic engineering.
>
> We currently use local preference and let the customer send us a community to adjust but I had a call with a customer today and they mentioned a provider letting them send a community to have the providers AS prepended on their route? Is this possible? Won't that cause a loop inside of the provider once the other IBGP routers see their own AS number?
>

> If this is done is there a good workaround in juniper or some good documentation to get it to work or should we just let the customer send us prepends using their own AS number.
>

> thanks

Regards,

Mark L. Tees