[j-nsp] Moving onto EX2300

Jason Healy jhealy at logn.net
Wed Sep 20 22:29:44 EDT 2017

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 10:10 PM, Chris Morrow <morrowc at ops-netman.net> wrote:
>
> man.. I'd like to take a gander at your setup.. because I'm fairly
> certain I'm going to send this 3400 back and work out my anger on some
> firewood. :)

Mail it my way; I'd be happy to have a spare!  I probably have a few 3200s left for trade.  ;-)

I misread your earlier email; yes, you would need an irb as the L3 interface for management where you previously used a vlan... a find and replace should take care of that, though.

I haven't bumped into the "default VC" port issue yet, but I guess I was lucky and chose xe-0/2/3 as my uplink.

We had some growing pains when we got a QFX5100 for our all-EX network and had to adjust to the ELS stuff.  "port" became "interface", "vlan" became "irb", etc.  Plus they moved a bunch of stuff around.

Juniper does have a conversion tool where you dump in your non-ELS config and it will output the ELS version (requires JTAC login).  It wasn't perfect, but if you work through it by hand you can figure most of it out:

  https://www.juniper.net/customers/support/configtools/elstranslator/index.jsp

Since we did the QFX a couple years ago, once the 3400s, I was familiar enough that it wasn't a huge deal.

The commit script I wrote lets you put stuff like this in the config:

      interfaces {
        ge-0/0/0 {
          apply-macro sa-portrole {
            role static;   # or trunk/dot1x
            vlan some-vlan;
          }
        }
      }

I just finished that last month, so I'm still rolling it out.  Happy to share if you think it will help.  Unfortunately, it won't paper over the other ELS differences for you; just the stuff dealing with VLANs, trunk/access, STP, and dot1x.

Jason