[j-nsp] [JUNK] Re: Moving onto EX2300

Chris Morrow morrowc at ops-netman.net
Wed Sep 20 22:10:11 EDT 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:46:19 -0400,
Jason Healy <jhealy at logn.net> wrote:

> On Sep 20, 2017, at 2:18 PM, Chris Morrow <morrowc at ops-netman.net> wrote:
> >
> > I found the 3400's are painfully different from 3300/3200's.. with
> > respect to vlans, trunks and access port assignment into said
> > vlans.. and actually getting traffic to traverse a trunk port to an
> > access port.
>
> Amen.  I've finally written a commit script that allows me to assign
> roles to ports and then sets the correct config options depending on
> platform.  That's making my life a little easier.

man.. I'd like to take a gander at your setup.. because I'm fairly
certain I'm going to send this 3400 back and work out my anger on some
firewood. :)

> > this coupled with what seems a requirement to enable an IRB interface
> > to attach the management ip address to seems ... wonky.
>
> What's this one?  I don't remember having to do that part on my
> switch.  That said, I'm currently hunting down some weird disconnect
> issues on my 3400s so maybe I do...

Since all of our 33/3200's have a mgmt-vlan trunked down to them and
an l3 interface configured like:

# show interfaces vlan unit 1
unit 1 {
    description "VLAN 1 (INFRA)";
    family inet {
        address 192.168.88.150/28;
    }
}

and the vlans portion:
INFRA {
    description "VLAN 1 (INFRA)";
    vlan-id 1;
    l3-interface vlan.1;
}

That config doesn't appear to work in the same fashion...
Oh, in dicking around.. it looks like:
FPC 0            REV 14   650-0   NX021     EX3400-48T
  CPU                     BUILTIN      IN   FPC CPU
  PIC 0          REV 14   BUILTIN      IN   48x10/100/1000 Base-T
  PIC 1          REV 14   650-0   NX02      2x40G QSFP
  PIC 2          REV 14   650-0   NX02      4x10G SFP/SFP+
    Xcvr 2       REV 01   740-0   FS40      SFP+-10G-LR
    Xcvr 3       REV 01   740-0   FS40      SFP+-10G-LR
Power Supply 0   REV 05   640-0   1EDV      JPSU-150W-AC-AF

If I put the sfp+'s in slot 0 and 1 ... I can't get packets up the
trunk and to devices downstream to hosts. If I put the sfp+'s in 2 and
3...works like a charm.

So, it smells like the 0 and 1 are 'virtual chassis ports'... even
though i can't unconfigure them from the VC setup?

Now, when I try to revert the IRB to VLAN L3-interface setup, I see
this in config mode:

{master:0}[edit vlans INFRA]
cmorrow at EX3400-0401# set l3-interface vlan.1
error: l3-interface: 'vlan.1': Only IRB interface is supported, e.g. irb.10

so... I'm pretty sure i'm not going to be able to have the same config
from 3300->3400 :( unless, of course it's clear I messed something up
to other folk?

-chris