[j-nsp] Inline J-Flow on MX104

Vincent Bernat bernat at luffy.cx
Sun Sep 24 05:36:40 EDT 2017

Hello,

I am trying to understand the impact of enabling inline J-Flow on the
MX104. There are various reports this could impact performance
negatively.

My oldest chassis are running 13.3R8. The release notes say about known
issues:

 - Performance degradation of 8 percent is observed on the maximum
   packet per second supported of J-Flow records exported. PR949965
 - Performance degradation of 8 percent is observed on the maximum
   packet per second supported of J-Flow records exported. PR950101

I don't have access to those PR. It is unclear for me if the performance
degradation is on the total bandwidth of the chassis or if there is an 8%
slow down on latency.

There are various reports saying this feature will also impact BGP
convergence times (which are already not great, notably on 13.3):

 http://seclists.org/nanog/2016/Mar/303
 https://lists.gt.net/nsp/juniper/53823#53823

They mention PR836197 which is marked resolved in 13.2R1. Can I then
expect J-Flow to not have a negative impact on 13.3R8? Or are there any
known issues solved in more recent versions?

Thanks!
--
Use variable names that mean something.