[j-nsp] MX204 and copper SFP?

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Wed Apr 4 15:09:08 EDT 2018

Hi Chris,

We have an MX204 on order and plan to test 1G SFPs of both media types
(latter half of this month).
Sad to see the release notes don't specify which 1G SFPs are supported.
Even more sad to see that 1G ports retain their xe- naming rather than
changing to ge- as you would hope and expect.

That's sure going to confuse some folks at some point, having to run
additional commands to verify the actual running speed.

*sigh*

I've set a reminder to check in on this thread again once we've done our
testing.

Meanwhile all I can think to ask you is, which copper SFP you're using?

If official JNPR, then there's a single-rate SFP-T (1Gbps) and a tri-rate
(10/100/1000Mbps) SFP-T.
Which have you tried, or have you tried both?

740-038291   SFP-T	Single-rate
740-013111   SFP-T	Tri-rate

How you can check:

#
# Find SFP-Ts FPC and PIC numbers, work out interface names.
# For your case on MX204, stupidly, they'll be xe- ports but in my example I
have ge- ports on MX960.
#
@mx1.ams.nl.re0> show chassis hardware | match "FPC 0|PIC 3|SFP-T"
FPC 0            REV 25   750-031089   -------          MPC Type 2 3D
    PIC 3                 BUILTIN      BUILTIN           10x 1GE(LAN) SFP
      Xcvr 0     REV 01   740-038291   -------           SFP-T
      Xcvr 1     REV 02   740-013111   -------           SFP-T

#
# I've got one of each type in FPC0, great! I have ge-0/3/0 and ge-0/3/1.
# How to tell which part number is which speed?
#
start shell pfe network fpc0

# Look for interface name to find index number - in my case, ge-0/3/0 and
ge-0/3/1 => index 11 and 12
show sfp list

# Show detail for SFP 11 and SFP 12
show sfp 11
show sfp 12

#
# Results - beware both will list 10/100/1000Base-T SFP in the xcvr codes,
look further below to 'SFP Type'
#
ge-0/3/0 housing a 740-038291 SFP-T

  SFP ID eeprom data:
   Cable Type:          11 (SFP-T)
   SFP xcvr codes:      10/100/1000Base-T SFP
   PNO:                 740-038291
	<...>
   SFP Type:            1000BASE-T Copper SFP
	<...>

ge-0/3/1 housing a 740-013111 SFP-T

  SFP ID eeprom data:
   Cable Type:          11 (SFP-T)
   SFP xcvr codes:      10/100/1000Base-T SFP
   PNO:                 740-013111
	<...>
   SFP Type:            Tri Rate Copper SFP
	<...>

Br,
Niall

Br,