[j-nsp] Going Juniper

Julien Goodwin jgoodwin at studio442.com.au
Wed Apr 11 06:51:34 EDT 2018

On 11/04/18 19:31, Saku Ytti wrote:
> I suspect more correct reason is that they don't see sufficient market
> potential in device like MX104. I think Cisco and Juniper are very
> confused about market, they appear to think entire market consists
> solely of large scale DC providers. That only addressable market is
> market which wants extremely dense 100GE boxes. 1GE is dead, 10GE is
> almost dead.

<rant>
Even in networks like that there's uses for 1g that won't go away (heck,
some amazingly recent infrastructure kit is still 10m only). A box able
to have a few 1g ports, even sacrificing some 10g ports is fine, but
with a 100g uplink or two would be super handy.

Not least of which, having somewhere to plug my laptop in if I need to
visit a POP.
</rant>

The datasheet for the MX204[1] implies that all the ports can be
switched to 1g mode, but I think only some can[2].

That's an improvement over when I first heard about the box (when the
JNPR folk I was talking to didn't understand why I might want some 100g
and 1g ports on the same box) which is great.

1:
https://www.juniper.net/assets/us/en/local/pdf/datasheets/1000597-en.pdf
specifically the table on page 3.

2: