[j-nsp] Going Juniper

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Apr 19 05:36:34 EDT 2018

On 11/Apr/18 11:31, Saku Ytti wrote:

> I suspect more correct reason is that they don't see sufficient market
> potential in device like MX104. I think Cisco and Juniper are very
> confused about market, they appear to think entire market consists
> solely of large scale DC providers. That only addressable market is
> market which wants extremely dense 100GE boxes. 1GE is dead, 10GE is
> almost dead.

This is not limited to the packet space - any reputable DWDM vendor is
now building for, what's the new buzzword these days, ah yes, "Webscale"
:-|...

Juniper have, generally, struggled with the non-Ethernet market. They
did okay during the M-series era, but as Cisco moved away from the 7500
series to the 10000 series to the 2600/2800 series to the 7200 series
and now to the ASR1000, Juniper never thought to play in that space.
Then again, with everything being Ethernet now, it's probably cheaper to
buy an MX240/480/960 or ASR9000-chassis-based in lieu of an ASR1000. And
this why non-Ethernet + low-speed Ethernet from Cisco and Juniper is
seeing a decline in development interest from them.

Mark.