[j-nsp] mx960 to mx960 via ciena 6500 - mtu smaller in the middle

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Apr 17 08:24:41 EDT 2018

Lukas, I am learning and continue to learn and continue to ask questions even if I thought I understood it before and realize maybe I don't understand it the way that I did previously... factor into that bad memory, getting older, forgetting, then what you have is a human.

This issue is my turning up new MX960's that are simply connected together with Ciena 6500 DWDM.... for me to have an MTU issue via DWDM is actually a surprise to me.  I pretty much always envisioned wave/lamda dwdm as darn near like having an actual fiber cable... no, not the case apparently... I'm surprised that the ciena dwdm service in this case is actually imposing an Ethernet mtu limitation !  wow, the more I think on it, the more I'm surprised about it... previously my older asr9k 15-node mpls ring was via fujitsu flashwave dwdm and I don't recall this occurring

So... with all that said, I asked more MTU questions

Back in November the triple posting was an emergency given that I actually had cell towers down! And I needed help asap ... and I trust and appreciate the level of expertise/real-world experience I get from my x-nsp/nanog mail-lists... and yes I also started a PRI-1 (net down) TAC case, but you guys usually out-do the TACs!  ....feel the love ?

I typically am more focused with my postings to the appropriate mail list, but when cell towers are down, I do what I gotta do !

Hope we are still cool brother  :)

-Aaron