[j-nsp] EX4550 or QFX5100 for Core

Giovanni Bellac giovannib1979 at ymail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:21:38 EDT 2018

Hi guys,
thank you for your responses.
Sorry, my first email was not clear enough that I require Base-T (copper) ports.
QFX5110 etc. are looking great on paper, but with copper optics the docs are saying:
###
Caution
Do not place a copper transceiver in an access port directly above or below another copper transceiver. Internal damage to the access ports and switch can occur. For copper transceivers, we recommend either using the top port row exclusively, or the bottom port row exclusively.###
So the options are limited with EX4550-32T and QFX5100-48T...
Kind regardsGiovanni

    Am Dienstag, 7. August 2018, 11:50:33 MESZ hat James Stapley <j.stapley at ru.ac.za> Folgendes geschrieben:

 I've also run 2xEX4600 in a VC for years as a collapsed core/distribution at my last workplace. Didn't use BGP, just OSPF for internal networks (mainly between them and the edge firewall (FGT), as they are single homed - so if you're getting full routes from a peer, I'm not sure how well they will do - the MX10s where I now work do NOT like big changes.... Of course, if the earlier EX series did the job for you, the 4600s should also be fine.
The EX4600s worked very well in that environment - the syntax seems to be a mish-mash of EX and QFX series command sets, so I often found myself googling the exact syntax expected on EX4600 - I have no real hesitation recommending them. The QSFP slots also seem a nice upgrade potential beyond 10/20 Gb/s backbone.