[j-nsp] EX4550 or QFX5100 for Core

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Tue Aug 7 10:17:11 EDT 2018

On 2018-08-07 14:21, Giovanni Bellac via juniper-nsp wrote:

> Sorry, my first email was not clear enough that I require Base-T
> (copper) ports.
> QFX5110 etc. are looking great on paper, but with copper optics the
> docs are saying:
> ###
> Caution
> Do not place a copper transceiver in an access port directly above or below
> another copper transceiver. Internal damage to the access ports and switch
> can occur. For copper transceivers, we recommend either using the top port
> row exclusively, or the bottom port row exclusively.
> ###

Some TP transceivers are small enough that it isn't a problem.  But be
careful, and verify, if you go down that route.

More importantly, 10 Gbit/s TP transceivers are not supported.  You can
buy such transceivers from some third-party vendors, but they *are*
violating the specifications for SFP+ ports, drawing more power than
SFP+ ports are required to deliver.  It might work, as many switches
can deliver more power than the spec requires, or it might not.  Or it
might work for a few transceivers, but not if you fill all ports with
such transceivers.

So, I agree, if you need 10Gbase-T, then the QFX5110 or EX4600 is not
what you should look at.

> So the options are limited with EX4550-32T and QFX5100-48T...
> Kind regardsGiovanni

There is also the EX4300-48MP, with 24 TP ports that do 10/100/1000
Mbit/s, and 24 TP ports that do 1/2.5/5/10 Gbit/s.  There is also a
slot for a module where you can get four SFP+ ports, two QSFP ports,
or one QSFP28 ports, if you need a couple of fiber connections.

I'm assuming that the EX4300-48MP is cheaper than a QFX5100-48T, but
I have never priced one, or used one.  (Note that I believe you need
to buy an extra license to run OSPF, or use VRFs, on the EX4300, while
that is included in the base license for QFX5100.  Both require extra
license to run BGP or IS-IS.)

	/Bellman