[j-nsp] EX4550 or QFX5100 for Core

Richard McGovern rmcgovern at juniper.net
Tue Aug 7 12:35:29 EDT 2018

The copper optic warning is 100% based on physical limitations, nothing else. People have “forced” optics into places they should not go, with poor results.

If you need more than a few 10GE-BaseT ports, then yes your best approach would be QFX5100-48T. I would still recommend staying away from EX4550 at this time, as its life expectancy is much less than any new QFX model (that is non-3500/3600).

At same time life expectancy of EX4550 is still greater than 5 years, so new QFX will be much longer.

My 2 cents worth.

Sent from my iPhone