[j-nsp] RSTP / Layer 2 Loop Protection

Simon Kautz knot3n at pingless.com
Mon Aug 13 05:03:33 EDT 2018

Hello,

i  hope this is the correct mailing list.

I have the following problem with the following scenario:

Core Switch -> Access Switch connected with an uplink port, this should be turned off in a Layer 2 Loop.
(Customer switch for example) - if a configuration error happens from the customer side.
I have to test 3 switches, which are connected with RSTP. (All the same firmware, the "Core Switch" is configured with RSTP, the "Customer Switches" are unconfigured.) Ports are not turned off in a produced loop (physically), think this is because the Juniper switches are smart enough to know that a real loop does not exists, Edge Prots are out of the question because the ports are switched off to the customer switch directly (which is normal).
Probably anyone have a solution?
When the core switch is connected to the customer switch, but the customer connects his unconfigured switch or has a configuration error that can not create a loop?

Thanks for your time & help.

Simon.