[j-nsp] Juniper vs Arista

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Aug 14 02:09:26 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 08:08:29PM -0500, Colton Conor wrote:
> Arista's sales engineering are claiming that their entire product line runs
> EOS, and there is a single firmware file for all products. Does anyone know
> if that is true, and how that compares to the way Juniper does things?

This is true, so for "control plane" features, you can basically rely
on the same things being available everywhere.

Now, "data plane" - like, "can this box do MPLS?  can it do SVI counters?" -
depends a lot on the unterlying hardware.  So even if you have the same
EOS on top, one box will do MPLS, and another box will not.  (And part
of that is "product management", that is, the Trident II+ boxes will
not do MPLS because "buy a bigger one if you want that", even if the
hardware could support some basic set of MPLS features)

So: you still need to test box vs. features you need.

gert