[j-nsp] Juniper vs Arista

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Tue Aug 14 02:17:21 EDT 2018

On 14/Aug/18 03:08, Colton Conor wrote:

> We have used Juniper for a long time across various lines. What I have
> noticed is on the JTAC recommend version website piratically all of their
> product lines are running on different code trains. They all run Junos yes,
> but they all have different features. It seems like Juniper has a different
> software development team for every product.
>
> Arista's sales engineering are claiming that their entire product line runs
> EOS, and there is a single firmware file for all products. Does anyone know
> if that is true, and how that compares to the way Juniper does things?

It is true that Arista currently have a single image for EOS across
their platforms.

But if I'm honest, I don't put a lot of stock in this. If you remember,
this was Juniper's line back in the day, "One Junos to rule them all".
Well, things obviously took another turn when they introduced the MX and
EX platforms around 2007/2008.

Ultimately, know your platform, understand your vendor, and don't get
caught in the hype. We already have far less time in the day as it is.

Mark.