[j-nsp] Juniper vs Arista

Pavel Lunin plunin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 05:06:50 EDT 2018

> But if I'm honest, I don't put a lot of stock in this. If you remember,
> this was Juniper's line back in the day, "One Junos to rule them all".
> Well, things obviously took another turn when they introduced the MX and
> EX platforms around 2007/2008.

Moreover, as we've discussed a few weeks ago, the "single software über
alles" strategy might be just a dumb idea.

ScreenOS to JUNOS migration is a good example. Juniper basically lost the
firewall as well as small software routers markets by trying to fit all
into a single package. And now, look, MX150 is the new J4300 :)

Not sure, but from the first glance it doesn't look like they've gained
more than they've lost with the JunosE to JUNOS BNG migration.

The whole Juniper's enterprise market failure is all about "single JUNOS
doesn't fit all": WX, SSL VPN, IPS, Wi-Fi, etc etc etc.

And yes, Arista will face the same challenge when they buy someone like
Fortinet to expand beyond the niche where they are by the moment.

--
Pavel