[j-nsp] L3VPN/RR/PE on Same router

Sebastian Wiesinger sebastian at karotte.org
Fri Aug 17 09:32:16 EDT 2018

* tim tiriche <tim.tiriche at gmail.com> [2018-08-16 16:40]:
> Hello,
>
> I have a MPLS PE (L3VPN) router that is acting as full mesh iBGP within the
> US.  The other routers in the US are not RR and regular iBGP.  This router
> also acts as RR for Europe and takes in full BGP table.  Is there some
> caveats to watch out for?

You will run into problems if you try to have a Hub-and-Spoke L3VPN
with a downstream hub on the PE. Routes do not get advertised because
they already got exported from one routing table to another.  Or how
Juniper states it in:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/bgp-vpn-session-flap-prevention.html

"The route export is not performed if the route in instance.inet.0 is
a secondary route. In Junos OS, a route is only exported one time from
one routing table as a primary route to another routing table as a
secondary route. "

Same when you enable the "advertise-from-main-vpn-tables" knob in
global bgp config.

Regards

Sebastian

--
GPG Key: 0x93A0B9CE (F4F6 B1A3 866B 26E9 450A  9D82 58A2 D94A 93A0 B9CE)
            -- Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant