[j-nsp] [c-nsp] L3VPN/RR/PE on Same router

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Aug 18 07:15:23 EDT 2018

On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 14:02, <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:

> Really? Interesting, didn't know that, are these features documented anywhere? I could not find anything looking for multi instance RPD.
> Are the RPD instances as ships in night, each maintaining its own set of tables and protocols?

Yes. It's old old feature:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/logical-systems-overview-solutions.html

The ability to run multiple FreeBSD KVM on Linux guest is very new. It
also allows you to connect the separate instances via virtual fabric
interface, so you don't need to eat physical interface to connect the
separate instances.
This is really 100% separate JunOS, they only share the Linux
hypervisor from software POV.

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/information-products/pathway-pages/junos-node-slicing/junos-node-slicing.html

Use case might be buy 128GB RE, collapse edge + pure-core without
having hardware.
Or Megaport on steroids, drop Calient optical switch in pops and MX,
have customers build via API their entire global backbone in seconds,
with active devices and optical network to connect them.

> Yeah all the costs are in edge devices, even core routers HW is order of magnitude more expensive than that of RRs

Depends, for access networks, 5 year costs tend to be dominated on
MRC's on the backhauls.

--
  ++ytti