[j-nsp] LSP's with IPV6 on Juniper

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Wed Aug 29 01:14:12 EDT 2018

On Tue, 28 Aug 2018, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> Just out of curiosity is there a business problem/requirement/limitation you're trying to solve by not changing the next hop to v6 mapped v4 address and using native v6 NHs instead please?

I'd asked a similar question as the OP two weeks ago in the thread about
mixing v4 and v6 in the same BGP peer groups, after several responses
extolling the virtues of avoiding any conflation between the two.  If
that's the case for routing, but forwarding v6 in an entirely v4-dependent
manner on a 100% dual stack network is tolerable, then this inconsistency
is... inconsistent.

By all outward appearances, v6 is still a second class citizen when it
comes to TE, and it doesn't seem unreasonable to ask why this is the way
it is in 2018.  There are plenty of valid reasons for wanting parity.

> On contrary 6PE/6VPE is such a well-trodden path.

The world is covered with well-trodden paths that have fallen into disuse
with the arrival of newer, better, more convenient infrastructure.

-Rob