[j-nsp] MPC7E-MRATE - won't come online (enhanced-ip done)

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed Dec 19 11:51:27 EST 2018

Thanks Jeff, perhaps AC Highcap ship with different default dip setting than
do the DC Highcap... I can tell you this.... all 6 of my MX960's with DC
highcap pem's came with dip set to 0 (1700w)...

Ok so today I did this in my lab-960...

Had someone flip the dip to 1 (4100w) on all 4 PEM's, works nice, I didn't
drop any pings to linecards in both zones...didn't see any issues on ssh or
console...

then I had him slot my MPC7E-MRATE, guess what, stayed in Present mode (show
chassis fpc).

I learned that I must online a newly installed module in order for it to
come online.

request chassis fpc slot 1 online

so thinking back to last year when I originally turned up these
960's....reason I didn't have to online the MPC7E's in slot 0 and 11 is
because when the 960 originally shipped to me with those MPC7E's in it and I
powered the 960 on with the MPC7E's in it.... and I understand that when an
entire system boots up, it boots up all the modules too (no user
intervention needed per module)... someone can correct me if I misspeak...
(I will caveat that with this, truly, when my 960 shipped and I booted it,
the MPC7E's actually didn't power at all (show chassis fpc...shows " ---FPC
misconfiguration---" ... I had to first take the system out of its default
setting (show chassis network-services.... IP) with (set chassis
network-services enhanced-ip) then reboot (request system reboot
both-routing-engines) then after reboot I saw the MPC7E's booting

-Aaron