[j-nsp] Set 802.1p bits for DHCP packets generated from the routing-engine

Alex D. listensammler at gmx.de
Thu Dec 20 04:56:45 EST 2018

Hello,

we use Dynamic subscriber management with DHCP on MX platform with JUNOS
15.1R6.7. The MX is acting as a DHCP-relay (proxy-mode). While
troubleshooting, i noticed, that all DHCP packets generated from the
routing-engine are given an 802.1p value of 110 (6). RE outbound-traffic
is assigned to a specific forwarding-class with a firewall-filter
"re-outbound-traffic" and rewritten on egress interface based on CoS
rewrite rules. For "management" traffic (eg. SSH, Syslog, SNMP,...),
this works as expected, but unfortunately it does not for outgoing DHCP
traffic.
The only way to set a speczific p-Bit (e.g.000) value for DHCP traffic
is by configuring:
host-outbound-traffic {
     ieee-802.1 {
         default 000;
     }
}
However, this makes my firewall filter obsolete and does not give me the
ability to set different 802.1p values (for example, depending on the
routing instance or other criteria).

Does anybody know if there's another way to set IEEE 802.1p values
except 'set class-of-services host-outbound-traffic' and should it
normaly work with a firewall-filter ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Alex