[j-nsp] Set 802.1p bits for DHCP packets generated from the routing-engine

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Dec 20 05:28:04 EST 2018

Hey Alex,

You should be able to set forwarding-class for inject packets through
lo0.0 egress filter. Rewrite filter on interface would then set
appropriate CoS bits.

However it is not entirely obvious to me why would you want to inject
anything else but NC from control-plane, it seems like unnecessary
complexity. Sure maybe it's not important that your SFTP of core file
out from router is NC, but it's not like it's going to congest your NC
and kill your LDP/BGP/IGP.

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 at 11:57, Alex D. <listensammler at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we use Dynamic subscriber management with DHCP on MX platform with JUNOS
> 15.1R6.7. The MX is acting as a DHCP-relay (proxy-mode). While
> troubleshooting, i noticed, that all DHCP packets generated from the
> routing-engine are given an 802.1p value of 110 (6). RE outbound-traffic
> is assigned to a specific forwarding-class with a firewall-filter
> "re-outbound-traffic" and rewritten on egress interface based on CoS
> rewrite rules. For "management" traffic (eg. SSH, Syslog, SNMP,...),
> this works as expected, but unfortunately it does not for outgoing DHCP
> traffic.
> The only way to set a speczific p-Bit (e.g.000) value for DHCP traffic
> is by configuring:
> host-outbound-traffic {
>      ieee-802.1 {
>          default 000;
>      }
> }
> However, this makes my firewall filter obsolete and does not give me the
> ability to set different 802.1p values (for example, depending on the
> routing instance or other criteria).
>
> Does anybody know if there's another way to set IEEE 802.1p values
> except 'set class-of-services host-outbound-traffic' and should it
> normaly work with a firewall-filter ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards,
> Alex