[j-nsp] Upgrading from RE-S-2000-4096-S/SCB-MX960-S to RE-S-1800X4-32G-S/SCBE2-MX-S

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Wed Jan 17 04:32:19 EST 2018

Hi Craig,

Indeed Misak's recommendation is the one I would follow.

We are in the process of upgrading SCBEs to SCBE2s and indeed you must power off for this.

As for the RE upgrades, JNPR states here https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/release-independent/junos/topics/reference/specifications/routing-engine-m-mx-t-series-specifications-by-model.html that: "On routers that accept two Routing Engines, you cannot mix Routing Engine types except for a brief period (one minute or so) during an upgrade or downgrade to two Routing Engines of the same type." I suggest that if you try to sync in-chassis rather than use flash, it might work, but is technically unsupported.

Br,
Niall

Niall Donaghy
Senior Network Engineer
GÉANT
T: +44 (0)1223 371393
M: +44 (0) 7557770303
Skype: niall.donaghy-dante
PGP Key ID: 0x77680027
nic-hdl: NGD-RIPE

Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org​
​GÉANT is the collective trading name of the GÉANT Association and GEANT Limited.

GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered in the Netherlands with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam. Registration number: 40535155. Registered office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
GEANT Limited  is registered in England & Wales. Registration number: 2806796. Registered office: City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.