[j-nsp] Juniper route age reset behavior

Magnus Bergroth bergroth at nordu.net
Fri Jan 26 06:44:52 EST 2018

Hi

We have seen a change in how junos handles age in command "show route".
In Junos 15.1R bgp routes age told you how long the route had been
present in the routing table. If you have a dual homed customer bgp age
timer showed how long time ago the customer advertised the route. Very
practical to see how stable the customer connection has been.

In 15.F and new releases this has been changed so that any change to the
route will reset the age time. If a route goes from inactive to active
"route age" gets reset. If your igp changes so the outgoing interface
changes the "route age" gets reset.

We been trying to get juniper to change back the behavior but Juniper
engineering thinks it's now working as it should.

We haven't been able to find any RFC the describes route age. The only
argument towards Juniper that we have is that they are changing default
behavior.

Are there any one else that has seen this new "route age" behavior and
have any open cases with Juniper, or have any good argument that we can
throw at Juniper?

Kindly

Magnus Bergroth