[j-nsp] Juniper route age reset behavior

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Fri Jan 26 20:21:35 EST 2018

Hello Magnus,

I would also prefer the old behaviour was retained as default, and that a configuration knob was provided to enable the new behaviour.

My arguments to Juniper would be:

	- It should be a low-cost effort to make the code change so that TWO timers are kept, as the code already exists. Increased RAM utilisation ought to be slight.

	- It should be fairly trivial to include a configuration knob to select the behaviour you want; ideally the default is the old behaviour, but either way achieves the same goal.

	- BGP route age timer should reflect changes in the eBGP route advertisement, because:
		- Changes in your internal network which affect BGP route selection or next hop interface are a holistic function of your router's internal routing.
		- The BGP route's age is, intuitively, the age since the route was received from the eBGP speaker, ie: RIB-In, not inet.0 (or whichever table).

	- Why not give the best of both? Retain two route age timers and display both in the CLI.

We haven't found this change in behaviour to adversely affect us in GEANT, but have the view that having both timers would be ideal.

Best regards,
Niall

Niall Donaghy
Senior Network Engineer
GÉANT
T: +44 (0)1223 371393
M: +44 (0) 7557770303
Skype: niall.donaghy-dante
PGP Key ID: 0x77680027
nic-hdl: NGD-RIPE

Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org
GÉANT is the collective trading name of the GÉANT Association and GEANT Limited.

GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered in the Netherlands with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam. Registration number: 40535155. Registered office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
GEANT Limited  is registered in England & Wales. Registration number: 2806796. Registered office: City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.