[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sat Jul 7 16:10:17 EDT 2018

On 7/Jul/18 17:45, Alexandre Guimaraes wrote:

> ELS cli bring me some problem with QinQ L2TP services since it doesn’t
> works, also with the RTG, doesn’t work to, cause that I still using
> ex2200, ex3300.

Why Juniper broke this, is simply beyond me. It was working just fine...

I'm switching vendor because I think the Arista option is not only more
superior, but also more scalable (much more buffer memory, more ports,
more port options, e.t.c.).

Juniper need to learn that they cannot behave in this way and expect to
keep our loyalty.

> About those Aristas, I don’t have notice if some one use them as a P
> router or if they have xconnect/l2circuits services, even local Arista
> dealer knows.... we have some Aristas working only with layer2/3 for
> colocation services inside our datacenters facilities.

I hear decent stories about folk using them as P routers.

I also hear good things about folk using them as peering or transit
routers.

Where I hear further development is needed is as a typical high-touch
edge router, which doesn't surprise me. On our end, we're giving Arista
at least 2 - 3 years to bring their software up to scratch in terms of
hardcore IP/MPLS routing vs. what Cisco, Juniper, Brocade and Nokia
(ALU) can to today. Of course, this depends on where Broadcom will be by
then vs. custom silicon, otherwise that's 3 years wasted waiting.

If your requirements are simple Ethernet + IP routing for ToR, I think
the Arista should be fine, but don't take my word for it.

Where we're currently very happy with them is in the core switching
area, with their 7508E switches. But that's just pure high-capacity,
Layer 2 Ethernet switching. No IP or MPLS applications.

Mark.