[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 9 06:33:51 EDT 2018

On 8/Jul/18 22:22, adamv0025 at netconsultings.com wrote:

> The only way how you can be 100% sure about the service availability is
> inserting test traffic onto the PW, that's why in Carrier Ethernet a good
> practice is to use CFM so you can not only turn the L2ckt down if corrupted
> but also be able to pinpoint the culprit precisely which in p2p L2 services
> (with no mac learning) is quite problematic.

I think that problem is already at a much higher level. In this case, we
are mainly concerned about the stability of the underlying
infrastructure, never mind the stability of the service itself.

> We have to distinguish here whether you're using BGP just for the VC
> endpoint reachability and VC label propagation (VPLS) or also to carry
> end-host reachability information (EVPN) and only in the latter you need ot
> worry about the routing tables I the former the BGP function is exactly the
> same as the function of a targeted LDP session -well in the VC label
> propagation bit anyways (not the auto discovery bit of course).

Of course, LDP- or BGP-based signaling both deal with the same
requirement. How they go about it is, obviously, different.

Mark.