[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Sun Jul 8 15:28:09 EDT 2018

> Of Alexandre Guimaraes
> Sent: Saturday, July 07, 2018 1:01 PM

Hi Alexandre,
With the level of detail you provided I'm afraid that it seems like some of your troubles are rooted in somewhat suboptimal design choices.

> My Usage Cent
>
> My core Network, P and PE, are 100% Juniper
>
> We start using VPLS, based in BGP sessions, at that time we was working at
> maximum of 2 or 3 new provisions per day.
> We won a big project contract, we reach 90/100 per month.
> VPLS become a issue in all fronts...
>
> Planning/ low ports - price of 10G ports using MX and rack space usage

This is good business case for an aggregation network out of say those EX switches you mentioned to aggregate low speed customer links into bundles of 10/40GE links towards PEs
This allows you then to use the potential of a PE slot fully as dictated by the fabric making a better use of the chassis.
The carrier Ethernet features on PE that allows you to realize such L2 services aggregation are flexible VLAN tag manipulation (push/pop/translate 1/2 tags) and per interface VLANs range.
Although the EX switches don't support per interface VLAN range but -I still think that ~4000 customers (or service vlans) per Agg. switch is enough.

> Provisioning... vlan remap, memory usage of the routers and 2000/2500
> circuits/customers per MX

Templates and automation in provisioning will really make the difference if you go pass a certain scale or customer onboarding rate,

> Tshoot, a headache to find the signaling problem when, for example: fiber
> degraded, all BGP sessions start flapping and the things become crazy and
> the impact increase each minute.

I think BGP sessions are no different to LSP sessions in this regard, maybe just routed differently (not PE-to-PE but PE-to-RR).
Maybe running a BFD on your core links for rapid problems detection and interface hold down or dampening to stabilize the network could have helped with this.

> Operating, vpls routing table become a pain is the ass when you use
> multipoint connections and with Lucifer reason, those multipoint become
> unreachable and the vpls table and all routing tables become ruge to analyze.

On the huge routing table sizes,
I think the problem of huge tables is something we all have to bear when in business of L2/L3 VPN services.
But in Ethernet services only p2mp and mp2mp services require standard l2-switch-like mac learning and thus exhibit this scaling problem, but there's no need for mac learning for p2p services.
So I guess you could have just disabled the mac learning on instances that were intended to support p2p services.
Also it's a good practice to limit , contractually, how much resources can each VPN customer use, -in L2 services is for instance the MACs per interface or per bridge-domain, etc...

> Regarding L2circuits using LDP.

But hey I'm glad it worked out for you with the LDP signalled PWs, and yes I do agree the config is simpler for LDP.

adam