[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 12:46:58 EDT 2018

This is from an industry perspective and not specific to Juniper.  BIER won't really  happen without hardware support which is coming but will not be compatible with a lot of already deployed hardware.

There was some IETF work going on to figure out how to map multicast to SR-MPLS but it kind of died off last year.

TreeSID is more of a Cisco solution, and relies on an external PCE to build the multicast tree at every branch point across an SR-enabled network.

Near-term mLDP specifically for multicast, without unicast enabled, is a solution.  Ingress replication is becoming a bit more popular as multicast as an overall percentage of traffic has continued to drop.

Phil