[j-nsp] Egress Protection/Service Mirroring

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 04:34:22 EDT 2018

Hi All,

Has anyone used Egress Protection/Service Mirroring, anyone got any
stories they can share good or bad?

To clarify, I'm talking about:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-minto-2547-egress-node-fast-protection-03
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/Edge-node-failure-protection-BGP-signalled-PWs.html
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/Edge-node-failure-protection-BGP-signalled-PWs.html

Even though the Juniper articles are about L2 VPN protection I'm
actually interested in L3 VPN protection. I'm not interested in
providing this to any of our L3 VPN customers, my use case would be
hosted internal platforms e.g. hosted voice, which needs rapid
recovery times end-to-end.

Was it worth the added complexity?

Did it work for you as expected?

Do you have any other vendors that support it?

Looking at the draft it seems Juniper probably implemented it
specially for France Telecom. I can't find any other vendor (searching
on Google) that is supporting it (or a variation of it).

Cheers,
James.