[j-nsp] Egress Protection/Service Mirroring

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Jul 15 05:31:30 EDT 2018

Hey James,

Thanks, I was not aware of this feature. How does it compare to PIC
Edge? Aren't both solving issue of ingress node rapidly choosing
different egress node from two installed options?

I think we have two secenarios:

               P2---PE2--CE2
               |         |
CE1 -- PE1 -- P1         |
               |         |
              P3---PE3---+

* CE1 primarily chooses PE2->CE2

a) If P2->PE2 goes down, we have to wait for PE1 to experience it,
after PE1 experiences it, it can immediately redirect to PE3
b) If PE2->CE2 goes down, PE2 should  be able to redirect to PE3

It wasn't obvious to me can this newer mechanism out-perform PIC Edge?

In case b) I think they should be equal, in both cases we don't need
to wait for network, the PE2 can locally choose to redirect to PE3
until it stops receiving packets.

But I'm not sure if this new mechanism makes a) better, does PE1 still
need to know about PE2 failure, or can the network itself move traffic
to PE3 before PE1 knows PE2 has failed? It might, because there is
same IP, but I'm not sure.
On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 at 11:36, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone used Egress Protection/Service Mirroring, anyone got any
> stories they can share good or bad?
>
> To clarify, I'm talking about:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-minto-2547-egress-node-fast-protection-03
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/task/configuration/Edge-node-failure-protection-BGP-signalled-PWs.html
> https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/example/Edge-node-failure-protection-BGP-signalled-PWs.html
>
> Even though the Juniper articles are about L2 VPN protection I'm
> actually interested in L3 VPN protection. I'm not interested in
> providing this to any of our L3 VPN customers, my use case would be
> hosted internal platforms e.g. hosted voice, which needs rapid
> recovery times end-to-end.
>
> Was it worth the added complexity?
>
> Did it work for you as expected?
>
> Do you have any other vendors that support it?
>
> Looking at the draft it seems Juniper probably implemented it
> specially for France Telecom. I can't find any other vendor (searching
> on Google) that is supporting it (or a variation of it).
>
> Cheers,
> James.

  ++ytti